From the moment a tooth erupts, the is a risk of developing tooth decay. Since children have trouble brushing and flossing as thoroughly as adults, they tend to have a higher risk of cavities occurring. Fortunately, we have dental sealants to help protect little smiles in Dallas, TX.
Try Our Quiz on Dental Sealants
- True or False: Tooth decay impacts kids of all ages.
- True or False: Dental sealants prevent cavities.
- True or False: They wear away with time.
- True or False: Toothaches could be a sign of trouble.
- True. A cavity forms when harmful bacteria reaches the inner dentin. While our tooth enamel protects our sensitive inner tooth structures, poor oral hygiene could cause enamel to erode, while injury could compromise the protective layer. Without treatment, a cavity will eventually lead to an infection and serious discomfort. Sugary foods and drinks, poor oral hygiene, and injury all lead to a greater risk of cavities.
- True. Dental sealants are a plastic coating applied to the rear teeth, preventing food from becoming stuck between them. They are appropriate for children of all ages, even toddlers. Since food doesn’t become stick between the hard-to-reach rear molars, caring for smiles is easier and children enjoy improved oral health.
- True. They don’t have to be removed, as they simply wear away with time. We may reapply them during a routine checkup and cleaning to ensure continued cavity prevention. We may also discuss fluoride treatments, which involve applying a special varnish to strengthen the outer enamel.
- True. If your child complains about toothaches, then let us know. Persistent pain often indicates advanced tooth decay or infection, meaning treatment is crucial to save the tooth. If you have any questions about dental sealants or our other preventive options, contact our team today. We want to help you and your family enjoy healthy smiles for years to come!
Do You Have Questions About Children’s Dentistry?
Using preventive dentistry, we can protect little smiles from tooth decay! For more information, schedule an appointment by calling Gentle Smiles in Dallas, TX, today at 972-329-7645 (972-329-SMILE).